1) Mix together all the ingredients for the katsu sauce and set aside
2) Finely dice the kimchi and mix thoroughly and evenly with the vegan mayo and set aside.
3) Slice the tempeh into 6 even ‘steaks’ about 1cm thick.
4) Spread the Panko breadcrumbs onto a plate.
5) Make the slurry by whisking together the flour and water. Pour the mixture into a low-profile bowl. Dip the tempeh into the flour slurry, drip off any excess and then gently coat in the breadcrumbs.
6) In a deep frying pan, heat an inch of oil and gently fry the steaks until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the heat and set aside on some paper towel or a wire rack to drain any excess oil.
7) Spread 1 tsp of Dijon mustard on 3 slices of bread. Top with a generous layer of Kimchi mayonnaise. Add the tempeh steaks, the katsu sauce and shredded cabbage. Top with the remaining slices of bread, remove the crusts, cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Credit: Photographer/Food Stylist – Izy Hossack @izyhossack