The 7 Best High Protein Tempeh Recipes
(that you can make in under 30 minutes)!
Tempeh is made from whole soybeans that are cooked & then fermented to form a lovely firm texture. It’s incredibly versatile, absorbs flavour really easily and is packed full of goodness. What’s not to love?!
Packed with Protein!
Tempeh is one of the best vegan sources of protein around.
It contains a huge ~20g of protein per 100g, which is double that found in tofu & almost equivalent to the amount that you’d find in fish and some meat sources! Pretty impressive stuff!
It is also a complete protein – which means it contains all 9 essential amino acids. They are called essential because they cannot be made in the body, so must be obtained through the diet.
Often plant-based protein sources are incomplete – which means they are lacking some of these essential amino acids. Which makes tempeh somewhat of a rarity and another great reason to incorporate it into your diet.
Whether you’re a loyal fan of tempeh or haven’t tried it before, we all need a bit of recipe inspo now & again. So, we’ve put together a list of our 7 favourite recipes that are quick, easy and delicious! And are packed with plant-based protein!
#1. Tempeh Bolognese with Lentil Pasta:
A great mid-week supper that’s both healthy and tasty! We love lentil pasta because it satisfies those pasta cravings but is lower in carbs and high in protein.
Protein content per serving: ~40g.
Ingredients (serves 4):
• 1 x white onion, diced
• 1 carrot, thinly sliced
• 1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
• 1 ½ tsp mixed Italian herbs
• 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1 x pack of mushrooms
• 1 x block Tiba tempeh
• 1 ½ x tin of chopped tomatoes
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp marmite
• 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1 x vegetable stock cube
• Black pepper to taste
• 240g lentil pasta of your choice (We love Profusion & Explore – 60g dried pp)
1) Start by prepping your tempeh/mushroom mix by roughly chopping both ingredients and adding them to a pulse blender. Pulse a few times until it almost resembles chunky mince.
2) Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat, add EVOO, onion, garlic, carrot, celery and salt. Cook for 5-6 minutes until veg starts to brown and soften.
3) Add the tempeh/mushroom mix and fry off with the veg for another few minutes.
4) Add the chopped tomatoes, herbs, nutritional yeast, sugar, marmite, red wine vinegar, veg stock cube and around 150ml of water. Give it a good stir and let simmer for 8-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste and add extra water if it’s too thick.
5) Serve with spaghetti and a good crating of vegan parmezan!
#2. Tempeh Pad Thai
Sometimes only Pad Thai will do! This iconic recipe has been tweaked to make it vegan friendly – whilst losing none of those distinctively delicious flavours and textures.
Fancy giving it a try? We don’t blame you – you can find the recipe here.
Protein content per serving: ~26g.
#3. Grilled Tempeh Greek Salad
Well, it’s summer after all. This deliciously light and fresh salad makes the perfect lunch, dinner or BBQ side that everyone will enjoy!
Protein content per serving: ~35g (serving 2 people).
Ingredients (serves 2 as a main, or 4 as a side):
• 1 x pack Tiba Sweet Chilli Pieces
• 2 x heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
• 1 x tin of chickpeas, rinsed
• 1 x punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
• ½ red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 x ripe avocado, diced
• ½ pack of Violife Greek Vegan Feta, cubed
• 2 tbsp vegan mayo
• 1 tsp EVOO
• 1 x clove garlic crushed
• 2 tsp white wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• Salt & pepper to taste.
To Serve: Pitta Bread, Fresh Parsley, Lemon Juice.
1) Skewer the tempeh pieces and set aside.
2) Prepare all salad ingredients and season to taste.
3) Make the dressing by combining all ingredients and whisk together.
4) Preheat your grill and cook the skewers @200c for about 10 minutes turning frequently until browned.
5) Add salad to serving bowl, layer the tempeh skewers over the top & add salad dressing and serve.
#4. Smoky BBQ Burgers with Garlic Sauce
These high protein burgers are packed with flavour! Smoky BBQ mixed with garlic sauce – bliss!
We love these on a BBQ or even as a super quick mid-week meal – after all, they are packed with nothing but goodness!
Protein content per serving: ~22g.
Ready to cook up a storm? You’ll find this delicious burger recipe here.
#5. Tempeh Tostadas with Mango Slaw & Pickled Red Cabbage
If you’re in the mood for Mexican, then we highly recommend these tostadas. A super quick & easy meal to assemble, but definitely has the wow factor!
It’s also a great way to clear your fridge so if you have any extra salad items or veggies that need using, why not throw them in!
Protein content per serving: ~18g.
Ingredients (serves 3-4).
• 1 x block Tiba Tempeh cut into cubes.
• Corn tortillas to serve
• ½ red cabbage, shredded
• 1 mango, diced
• 2 tbsp fresh coriander
• Juice of 1 fresh lime
• 2 x spring onions, freshly chopped
• 2 tbsp ACV
• 1 tsp agave syrup
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• ½ tsp paprika
• ½ tsp dried cumin
• ½ tsp liquid smoke
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• Salt & pepper to taste.
1) Prepare the pickled cabbage by placing the shredded cabbage in a bowl with ACV, agave, salt & pepper giving it a good mix. Set aside (ideally for a few hours or overnight).
2) Preheat the oven @200c & prepare the marinade. Rub the marinade over the tempeh pieces and scatter on a baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes.
3) Whilst the tempeh is cooking, prepare your mango salsa by mixing fresh mango cubes with lime juice, spring onions, coriander and season to taste.
4) Heat your tortillas in the oven for 2 minutes and then it’s all ready to assemble.
5) Option to serve with vegan mayo & mashed avocado.
#6. Tempeh Buddha Bowl
Buddha bowls are wonderfully healthy & are also a fantastic way to clear your fridge and use up any leftovers.
Start by choosing a wholegrain such as quinoa, rice or bulgur wheat and then load up with salad, veggies and healthy fats such as avocado or hummus.
You can find the recipe for our ideal buddha bowl here.
#7. Tempeh Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
A seriously speedy supper that is both hearty and packed full of flavour!
Protein content per serving: ~38g.
Ingredients: (Serves 4):
• 4 x sweet potatoes
• 1 x pack of Tiba soy marinated pieces
• 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• Juice of 1 lime
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 x red pepper sliced
• 1 x small tin of sweetcorn, drained
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tbsp sriracha
• 1 tbsp almond butter
• Spring onions to season + salt & pepper to taste.
1) Preheat oven @200c, wash and prick your sweet potatoes and bake for 45 minutes until soft.
2) Meanwhile, make the almond sauce by mixing all other ingredients (except sesame oil, tempeh, red pepper and sweetcorn) into bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
3) In a medium frying pan, heat the sesame oil and add the red pepper, tempeh sweetcorn. Cook for 5-6 minutes until browned. Season to taste.
4) When the sweet potatoes are ready, cut them open and load up with tempeh mixture and top with the almond butter sauce.
5) Option to serve with fresh avocado slices.
We hope we have inspired you to get cooking!
Oh & don’t forget to tag @tibatempeh in your recipe creations to be in with a chance of winning a stash of Tiba!